Website Billings Parks, Recreation & Public Lands
Salary Range: $24.4996 – $27.0127/hour. Salary reflects Step 1 and Step 3 of a 7-step pay scale. Salary at hiring will be dependent upon the applicant’s education, experience, and training.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Under direction of the City Forester, the Arborist carries out the day to day operations of the Parks and Recreation Department’s Urban Forestry Program. The Arborist performs skilled and technical tasks in the management of tree planting, pruning, after care, and removal primarily within City Parks. The Arborist works outside the majority of the year.
Scope of Responsibility: Arborist will work closely under the supervision of the City Forester and assist in the supervision of seasonal employees. Incumbent is responsible for having a strong degree of knowledge of up-to-date Arboricultural practices. Arborist should have a moderate degree of understanding of department and functional operations. Arborist should be able to work independently and take initiative in performing tasks.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the care, maintenance, and removal of trees and other vegetation on city property in accordance with ISA standards & Arboricultural Best Management Practices.
- Operate a variety of equipment and tools including aerial lift truck, chipper, stump cutter, chainsaw, backhoe, tree spade, and hand tools.
- Ability to climb trees using rope and saddle methods.
- Assist in the supervision of seasonal employees.
- Estimate time, materials, and equipment required for jobs assigned; requisition materials as required; order equipment and supplies as necessary and ensure that they are received in a timely fashion.
- Transplant trees to specified areas; prune, fertilize, and spray trees and shrubs; remove decayed and diseased tree tissues; treat tree wounds; install braces and cables; identify trees and shrubs and related diseases, infestations, and hazards; mix and apply pesticides.
- Maintain records of activities.
- Properly setup work zone safety control along streets, sidewalks and work zones.
- Utilize GIS and GPS in record keeping.
- Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Assist in report writing utilizing Microsoft products such as Word & Excel.
- Assist with park maintenance activities including but not limited to, snow removal, leaf pick up, irrigation maintenance, & mowing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Specialized training beyond high school
- Two (2) or more years of combined education and experience in urban forestry work
- International Society of Arboriculture Arborist certification or must be obtained within one (1) year of employment or promotion
- Montana Department of Agriculture Applicator License required or must be obtained within one (1) year of employment or promotion
- A valid Class A, Type 2 CDL with airbrake endorsement or must be obtained within ninety (90) days of employment
- Strong interpersonal skills
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- Tree Worker or Aerial Lift certification through the International Society of Arboriculture
- GIS and GPS experience
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
Work is primarily outside in the elements. A typical workday involves exposure to disagreeable elements at least two of which are intense in moderate intensity between 45% and 70% of the time.
Occasional physical effort involving lifting of 100 pounds or less is required; the ability to stand, walk, sit, bend, twist, reach, crawl, push, pull, climb trees, climb ladders, kneel, grasp, pick, pinch, rise and perform similar body movements; possession of hand / eye coordination adequate to operate all department equipment, hand and power tools, ability to talk and hear in person, by telephone and ability to hear malfunctions in equipment; and ability to see and read instructions, and operate equipment.
Ability to climb trees with rope and saddle over 40 feet in height 10% of the time. Frequently works in a bucket truck over 40 feet in height 50% of the time.
The noise level in the work environment varies, depending on the type of equipment being used. Hearing protection is required when using equipment.
Work requires high attention to detail between 45% and 70% of the time. Frequent driving on department business is necessary.
Some requirements in this job description may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
All requirements are subject to modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and experience required. To perform this job successfully, the worker must possess the abilities and aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The City retains the discretion to add duties or change the duties of this position at any time.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.